Background: Lower limb chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) is a global issue. The disease has significant effects on the quality of life (QoL) with substantial burden on the healthcare system. In Vietnam, the QoL of patients suffering from lower limb CVI has not received much attention. This study evaluated the QoL and associated factors in patients with lower limb CVI in order to improve care as well as the well-being of patients.
Objectives: To identify the QoL score and associated factors in patients with lower extremity CVI.
Study methods: This is a retrospective observational study of 68 randomly selected patients with lower limb CVI at Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital. All patients were interviewed using the SF-36 questionnaire. Multivariate linear regression was used to evaluate the relationship between QoL score and other factors.
Results: The mean scores of patients with lower limb CVI in physical health was 51.56±14.53, mental health was 53.91±15.20, overall QoL was 52.74±10.30. Factors associated with QoL was gender, income, disease severity based on CEAP clinical classification, level of physical activities and the use of medial pressure socks.
Conclusions: QoL of patients with lower limb CVI was decreased, both physically and mentally. Patients should be encouraged to exercise more and use medial pressure socks to improve the QoL.
Lower limb chronic vein insufficiency, Quality of life, SF-36
Tài liệu tham khảo
2. Ware J. E., Jr. (2000), "SF-36 health survey update", Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 25 (24), pp.
3. Andreozzi G. M., Cordova R., Scomparin M. A., et al. (2005), "Effects of elastic stocking on quality of life of patients with chronic venous insufficiency. An Italian pilot study on Triveneto Region", Int Angiol, 24 (4), pp. 325-9.
4. Andreozzi G. M., Cordova R. M., Scomparin A., et al. (2005), "Quality of life in chronic venous insufficiency. An Italian pilot study of the Triveneto Region", Int Angiol, 24 (3), pp. 272-7.
5. Beebe-Dimmer J. L., Pfeifer J. R., Engle J. S., et al. (2005), "The epidemiology of chronic venous insufficiency and varicose veins", Ann Epidemiol, 15 (3), pp. 175-84.
6. Campbell W. B., Decaluwe H., Boecxstaens V., et al. (2007), "The Symptoms of Varicose Veins: Difficult to Determine and Difficult to Study", European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, 34 (6), pp. 741-744.
7. Clark A., Harvey I., Fowkes F. G. (2010), "Epidemiology and risk factors for varicose veins among older people: cross-sectional population study in the UK", Phlebology, 25 (5), pp. 236-40.
8. Fiatarone M. A., Marks E. C., Ryan N. D., et al. (1990), "High-intensity strength training in nonagenarians. Effects on skeletal muscle", Jama, 263 (22), pp. 3029-34.
9. Kahn S. R., M'Lan C E., Lamping D. L., et al. (2004), "Relationship between clinical classification of chronic venous disease and patient-reported quality of life: results from an international cohort study", J Vasc Surg, 39 (4), pp. 823-8.
10. Kan Y. M., Delis K. T. (2001), "Hemodynamic effects of supervised calf muscle exercise in patients with venous leg ulceration: a prospective controlled study", Arch Surg, 136 (12), pp. 1364-9.
11. Kaplan R. M., Criqui M. H., Denenberg J. O., et al. (2003), "Quality of life in patients with chronic venous disease: San Diego population study", J Vasc Surg, 37 (5), pp. 1047-53.
12. Klyscz T., Junger M., Junger I., et al. (1997), "Vascular sports in ambulatory therapy of venous circulatory disorders of the legs. Diagnostic, therapeutic and prognostic aspects", Hautarzt, 48 (6), pp. 384-90.
13. Kurz X., Lamping D. L., Kahn S. R., et al. (2001), "Do varicose veins affect quality of life? Results of an international population-based study", J Vasc Surg, 34 (4), pp. 641-8.
14. Nicolaides A. N. (2000), "Investigation of chronic venous insufficiency: A consensus statement (France, March 5-9, 1997)", Circulation, 102 (20), pp. E126-63.
15. Padberg Jr F. T., Johnston M. V., Sisto S. A. (2004), "Structured exercise improves calf muscle pump function in chronic venous insufficiency: a randomized trial", Journal of Vascular Surgery, 39 (1), pp. 79-87.
16. Prandoni P., Lensing A. W., Prins M. H., et al. (2004), "Below-knee elastic compression stockings to prevent the post-thrombotic syndrome: a randomized, controlled trial", Ann Intern Med, 141 (4), pp. 249-56.
17. Rossi F. H., Volpato M. G., Metzger P. B., et al. (2015), "Relationships between severity of signs and symptoms and quality of life in patients with chronic venous disease", Jornal Vascular
Brasileiro, 14, pp. 22-28.
18. Ruckley C. V. (1997), "Socioeconomic impact of chronic venous insufficiency and leg ulcers", Angiology, 48 (1), pp. 67-9.
19. Soydan E., Yilmaz E., Baydur H. (2016), "Effect of socio-demographic characteristics and clinical findings on the quality of life of patients with chronic venous insufficiency", Vascular, 25 (4), pp. 382-389.
20. Valencia I. C., Falabella A., Kirsner R. S., et al. (2001), "Chronic venous insufficiency and venous leg ulceration", J Am Acad Dermatol, 44 (3), pp. 401-21; quiz 422-4.
21. Vayssairat M., Ziani E., Houot B. (2000), "Placebo controlled efficacy of class 1 elastic stockings in chronic venous insufficiency of the lower limbs", J Mal Vasc, 25 (4), pp. 256-62.